Police reports may be obtained through the Records Bureau of the Police Department.

The Records Bureau is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).

**Please note: Between Memorial Day and Labor Day the records department will be working an adjusted schedule.

Monday – Thursday 8:00am-4:45pm, Fridays 8:00am-12pm**


Police reports generated and prepared by patrol officers are subjected to a review process. This process causes the release of records to be delayed. Anyone requesting a report should first call the Police Department’s Records Section to ascertain if the report is ready for release.

Generally, you should expect that it will take five business days for your report to be available for release.

Any police report involving criminal conduct cannot be released as it is an investigatory record which is exempt from the Open Public Records Act (OPRA). Those police reports needed by victims for insurance purposes will have certain information omitted or redacted.

Cards can be obtained through the Records Bureau during regular business hours.  All cards are good from May 1st to April 30th of the following year.  Initial cards are $25 and renewals are $15.  Valid NJ Identification is required to obtain a card.

Accident Report Request

Motor Vehicle Accident reports can be obtained through the Record Bureau of the Police Department.  The Records Bureau is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).

Accident reports are generally prepared by patrol and traffic safety officers and are therefore subjected to a review process. This process causes the release of records to be delayed. Anyone requesting a report should first call the Police Departments Records Bureau to ascertain if the report is ready for release. The number to contact for this is 732-264-3803.

Generally, you should expect that it will take five business days for your report to be available for release.

Motor Vehicle Accident reports can also be accessed on-line 24 hours a day, seven days a week through Carfax Police Crash Assistance Program. Click below to access the secure database.

Please Visit out Firearms Page for information. 

Temporary Handicap Parking Permit application forms can be obtained from https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehicles/SP-68.pdf or requested at the Records Bureau window.

Requesting individuals must complete the application and have their doctor complete the appropriate portion.

Completed application forms should be returned to the Police Department’s Records Bureau along with a check or money order in the amount of $4.00 payable to: NJ Motor Vehicle Commission. CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

Applicants complying with the above-referenced steps will receive a temporary placard the same day.

Temporary Handicap placards are good for a period of six (6) months from the date-of-issue.

Permanent Handicap Placards are provided by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission ONLY. Forms for such a request must be obtained from the Motor Vehicle Commission directly.

The Open Public Records Act (OPRA) allows members of the public to access certain records of the police department.

Any request for records must be for a specific incident and the requestor must know what record they would like as the agency is not required to do “research” as this would be costly to the taxpayers.

A request for a copy of Government Records should be submitted on a Government Records Request Form which has been adopted by the Custodian of Records for requests related to Police Department Records. Some records will be immediately available during normal business hours. Some records will require time to locate and to make the copies requested, but will normally be available during normal business hours and within seven (7) business days. If any document or copy which has been requested is not a public record or cannot be provided within the seven (7) business days, you will be provided with a response with that information within the seven (7) business days. Some records requested have specific fees or other response times established by statute. There is no fee involved in simply inspecting a document during normal business hours. This request may be filed electronically.

In general:

  • A copy or copies of a government record may be purchased by any person upon payment of the fee prescribed by law or regulation. Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, the fee assessed for duplication of a government record embodied in the form of printed matter shall be $0.05 per letter size page or smaller, and $0.07 per legal size paper or larger. If a public agency can demonstrate that its actual costs for duplication of a government record exceed the foregoing rate, the public agency shall be permitted to charge the actual cost of duplicating the record. The actual cost of duplicating the record, upon which all copy fees are based, shall be the cost of materials and supplies to be used to make a copy of the record, but shall not include the cost of labor or other overhead expenses associated with making the copy except as provided for in subsection (c) of this section. Access to electronic records and non-printed materials shall be provided free of charge, but the public agency may charge for the actual costs of any needed supplies such as computer discs, DVD’s etc.
  • Where a request is for a copy in a format other than a photocopy, reasonable efforts will be made to provide the information in the format requested. The cost will be based on the costs of producing the format requested.
  • Where a legal determination must be made as to whether records are “public records” as provided by law, the request will be reviewed by the Municipal Attorney.

The term “public records” generally includes those records determined to be public in accordance with N.J.S.A.47:1A-1. The term does not include employee personnel files, police investigation records, or other matters in which there is a right of privacy or confidentiality or which is specifically exempted by law.

In order to get any records under the Open Public Records Act, the following form must be completed: Hazlet Township Government Records Request Form. Once the Government Records Request Form is completed it may be hand delivered, mailed or faxed to the Hazlet Township Municipal Clerk’s Office.

Click here to download the Township Opra Request Form

Forms that are mailed or faxed should be sent:

Township of Hazlet
C/O Municipal Clerk
1766 Union Avenue
Hazlet NJ, 07730
Fax: 732-264-1785

Report a Crime

Welcome to the Hazlet Township Police Department Online Reporting System. Using this system allows you to submit a report immediately for review.

 If this is an emergency or the crime is in progress, please call 911.

Upon completion of this process:

    • Your incident reported online will be reviewed.
    • Reports are reviewed and assigned to detectives for follow-up based on investigative leads and severity of the crime. Unfortunately the majority of cases reported are closed without further action being taken. If a follow-up will be conducted on your case, you will be contacted.
    • Once the report has been approved, a permanent HTPD report number and a copy of the report will be maintained and available to you through our Records Division.

  • Violent Crime (personal assault, kidnapping, robbery)
  • Hate Crime
  • Sex Crime (rape or sexual assault)
  • Stolen Vehicle (theft of a vehicle, trailer, motorcycle)
  • Domestic Violence
  • Assault resulting in serious injuries (to include injuries requiring hospitalization or medical treatment).
  • Lost/Stolen License Plate

If YES, Call 732-264-6565 to file your report!

All other crimes please use the following links:

Report litter, vandalism, and graffiti

Report vehicle damage or damaged property 

Report lost property

Report theft under $200

Report a vehicle that was burglarized

Report Harassment

Report a Fraud or Identity theft

Report a Phone or Internet Scam

Report Traffic Issue

If you already created a report with an officer or online, but have more information to provide, please click here