APPLYING FOR A PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN
EFFECTIVE 7/26/23 THE APPLICATION IS TO BE COMPLETED ONLINE.
- Go to Nj State Police Website (https://nj.gov/njsp)
- Click on Firearms Information
- Click on Apply for a Permit to Carry a handgun.
Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun
The Concealed Carry Permits service allows for online submission of both initial and renewal applications. Approved applications are due for renewal every two (2) years. Renewal applications can be submitted up to four (4) months before the expiration date. Concealed Carry Permit applicants need to have been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey and assigned an SBI number before they can apply for a Concealed Carry Permit. If you have never been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey before, start with an application for an Initial Firearms I.D. card here. (LINK TO FIREARMS APPLICATION SYSTEM FOR NEW APPLICANTS)
You can find the Permit to Carry Safe Handling and Proficiency Certification and Use of Force Training document on the NJSP website here. (LINK TO S.P. 182 FORM- Note- This form is proof of training and qualification with handguns)
If you have lived outside of the state of New Jersey in the last ten (10) years, please fill out form SP-066 (LINK TO SP 66 Form)(Consent for Mental Health Records) and upload it to your application.
Start Initial Application
YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Hazlet Township Police ORI Number – NJ0133900 (If incorrect number is entered application will not be sent to our department- Any fees submitted with an application with an incorrect ORI number will not be refunded).
- Passport Style Photograph (2 inches by 2 inches- light colored background- no hats – no sunglasses- – NOTE – Do not use photo from NJ Driver’s License or a copy of your NJ DL. as picture will not be accepted- Do not use a copy of passport. (APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO UPLOAD THIS PHOTO TO APPLICATION)
- Completed NJ State Police Form (S.P 182) -Permit to Carry Safe Handling and Proficiency Certification. A link to this form is available in a fillable form on the opening page of the application which is pictured above. This form must be completed and signed by both the Firearms Instructor and the applicant. (APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO UPLOAD THIS FORM TO APPLICATION).
- Completed SP66 Form (Consent for Mental Health Records Search) if applicant has lived out of state during the past 10 years – This form must be completed and uploaded during the application. A link to this form in fillable format is available on the opening page of the application as pictured above. Applicants that have not lived out of state during the past 10 years are not required to complete this form as the records check will be completed as part of the online process. (APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO UPLOAD THIS FORM TO APPLICATION).
- NJ Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (SBI Number from Firearms ID Card will be required to be entered in application).
- NJ Driver’s License (Personal information entered in application must match NJ Driver’s License exactly).
- Serial Number, Caliber, Make, and Model Number of all handguns which you intend to carry. Applicants will be required to enter the information for each handgun in the application.
- Names, Addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of 4 (FOUR) references that have known applicant for at least 3 years prior to submitting of application– References cannot be related to applicant by blood or law. These references will be contacted by Investigators.
- Credit or Debit Card– At the end of the application applicants will be required to pay the following fees to the State of New Jersey.
- Concealed Carry Permit Application State Fee of $50.00 (Plus online service fee of $5.00) Total Fee = $55.00
- 212A Background Check Fee of $18.00 (Plus online service fee of $3.00) Total = $21.00
- THE TOTAL OF ABOVE (a & b) is $76.00 will be charged to credit/debit card entered by applicant.
IMPORTANT: The application fee of $150.00 required by NJ State Law payable to the Hazlet Township Police Department is not paid as part of the online process.
Checks/Money orders payable to Hazlet Township can be mailed to:
Hazlet Township Police Department
Attention: Special Services
255 Middle Road
Hazlet, NJ 07730
Your application will not be processed until the $150.00 application fee is received by Hazlet Township Police Department.
Printable Permit to Carry Instructions
Note: On September 15 2023 the Office of the Attorney General issued a Memorandum regarding Civilian Carry Assessment and Range Evaluation (CCARE) Protocol which can be found by following the link below: