FIREARMS APPLICANT INSTRUCTIONS
THIS PAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO INCLUDE RECENT CHANGES TO NJ FIREARMS LAW EFFECTIVE 12/22/22 WHICH ALSO INCREASED FEES FOR BOTH FIREARMS ID CARD AND PERMIT TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS. THIS PAGE HASALSO BEEN UPDATED TO INCLUDE THE RECENT IMPLEMENTATION OF ELECTRONIC FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARDS (E-FID), ELECTRONIC PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS (E-PERMITS), AND OTHER CHANGES TO THE FIREARMS APPLICATION PROCESS. BOTH NEW AND PREVIOUS APPLICANTS SHOULD READ ALL THE BELOW INFORMATION TO AVOID DELAYING THE APPROVAL OF THEIR APPLICATION.
APPLICANTS SHOULD BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE REQUIRED STEPS THAT THEY MUST TAKE IN ORDER FOR THEIR APPLICATION TO BE PROCESSED. THE MOST IMPORTANT OF THESE ARE:
- PAYMENT OF REQUIRED APPLICATION FEES FOR FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARDS AND PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS TO THE HAZLET TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT.
- SCHEDULING APPOINTMENT FOR FINGERPRINT SCANNING (NEW APPLICANTS ONLY).
- COMPLETING SP-66 MENTAL HEALTH SEARCH FORM IF YOU HAVE LIVED OUTSIDE NEW JERSEY AT ANYTIME DURING THE PAST 10 YEARS.
- PROVIDING CORRECT EMAILS FOR REFERENCES. REFERENCES MUST BE REPUTABLE ADULTS THAT ARE NOT RELATED TO APPLICANT.
MOST DELAYS IN THE APPROVAL OF APPLICATIONS ARE THE RESULT OF APPLICANTS NOT COMPLETING THE ABOVE LISTED STEPS.
FULL INFORMATION ON ABOVE STEPS CAN BE FOUND FURTHER DOWN ON THIS SITE.
PAYMENT REQUIRED PRIOR TO PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS
An application fee for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (E-FID) and Permits to Purchase Handguns (E-PERMIT) must be paid prior to the application being processed. New Jersey State Law 2C:58-3 requires this non-refundable payment at the time an application is submitted. Applicants that fail to submit the application fee payment to the Hazlet Township Police Department within 30 days of application date will have their application withdrawn., which will require applicant to file a new application.
First Time Applicants: The application fees for your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) and/or Permits to Purchase Handguns (E-PERMIT) are not paid as part of the fees (Currently $58.00) that that you pay to IdentoGo as part of the fingerprint processing fee.
Prior Applicants: The application fees for your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) and/or Permits to Purchase Handguns (E-PERMIT) are not included as part of the $21.00 fee that was paid as part of the application submission on the NJ State Police Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). That $21.00 fee was paid for the State Police to conduct a check on your fingerprint records only.
Prior Applicants applying for Replacement of a Lost/Stolen/Mutilated Card, or for a Change of Address, Change of Name, or Change of Sex are not required to submit any payment. These Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (E-FID) are issued at no cost to the applicant. If the application also includes Permit(s) to Purchase Handguns (E-PERMITS), then payment for the permit(s) must be submitted prior to the application being processed.
Your application will not be processed until you have paid the application fee for the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permits to Purchase Handguns. Instructions for payment are listed below.
APPLICATION FEE PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Applicants are requested to send payment for E-FID Cards and E-PERMITS to the following address:
Hazlet Township Police Department
255 Middle Road
Hazlet, NJ 07730
Attention: Special Services
Payment is to be made by check or money order made payable to HAZLET TOWNSHIP. (Do not send cash).
Applicants should put their Confirmation Number from their application in the Subject line at the bottom left side of their check.
If applying for both an Initial Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) and E-Permit(s) to Purchase Handguns, the total amount can be paid in one single check.
In the case of multiple applicants from the same family, a separate check or money order will be required for each applicant to correctly match payments with each application.
The Confirmation Number is in the email you received from the FARS System at the time of your application. The Confirmation E-Mail also has the amount that is due.
If you do not know your confirmation number or the amount you owe, email our Firearms Investigators at Firearms@HazletPD.org and they will resend you the Confirmation Email.
The Application Fee for Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (E-FID) is $50.00. (There is no application fee for replacement cards, change of address cards, or change of name cards, or change of sex cards).
The Application Fee for E-PERMITS to Purchase a Handgun is $25.00 for each permit.
Due to the changes to the FARS System made by the State Police on October 1, 2020, we are unable to change the number of E-Permits you requested, add E-Permits if you only requested an Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, or add an Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card if you only requested E-Permits. Additional E-PERMITS or E-Firearms Purchaser Identification Card will require the applicant to file a new application on the FARS site.
UPDATE ON APPLICATION PROCESS
The New Jersey State Police have made major changes to the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) effective with applications filed after October 1, 2020.
The main change that directly affects applicants is that both Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns are issued electronically to applicants.
The previous printed ID Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns have been phased out for all applications approved after April 1, 2021. The Hazlet Police Department is no longer printing up these documents for applicants, and applicants will not be required to come to Police Headquarters to pick up either Firearms ID Cards or Permits to Purchase Handguns.
Applicants will now receive an Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) and/or an Electronic Permit to Purchase a Handgun (E-PERMIT).
The previously issued yellow Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards are still valid and are still accepted at all NJ Licensed Firearms Dealers and do not have to be replaced. Prior Applicants that apply for Permit(s) to Purchase Handguns will automatically receive a link to an updated Electronic Firearms ID Card (E-FID) upon approval of their Permits to Purchase Handguns.
ELECTRONIC FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD (E-FID): Applicants that apply for an Initial Card, a Replacement Card (Lost, Stolen, Mutilated), Change of Address, Change of Name, or Change of Sex will receive an email from NJ Firearms System (NJ State Police) advising that your application was approved. In the email will be a link to download the E-FID and an Access Key that allows you to download the E-FID Card. The Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card will be available to download for one year from date of issue. Please ensure that you print and save a copy for your records. If you do not download the E-FID card within the year you will need to apply for a replacement ID Card which will result in additional application fees on the FARS Site and an additional background investigation by The Hazlet Township Police Department as required by NJ State Law.
ELECTRONIC PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN (E-PERMIT) When an application is approved, the applicant will receive an email from NJ Firearms System (NJ State Police) advising of the approval of the Permits to Purchase Handguns. The email will not contain the actual E-PERMIT. It just advises the applicant that the E-PERMIT has been approved. The actual E-PERMIT is contained on the NJ State Police FARS Site and can be activated by any NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer at time of purchase. E-PERMITS have the same expiration period as the former paper permits (90 days from date of approval, with a renewal period of an additional 90 days). Once 180 days have passed since the E-PERMIT was issued, the E-PERMIT is no longer valid and cannot be renewed.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR OBTAINING FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARDS AND ELECTRONIC PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS
The following information is intended to explain the process for obtaining Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Electronic Permits to Purchase Handguns from the Hazlet Township Police Department. Many residents visiting this site are first time gun buyers, while others are experienced firearms owners who understand the purpose and procedure for obtaining the various firearms documents. Whether you are obtaining a firearm for the first time, a new resident to New Jersey (and Hazlet Township), or a resident that has previously applied for either Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards or Electronic Permits to Purchase Handguns through our agency, we would request that all visitors to this site read the information provided in its entirety before proceeding with the application process. There have been many recent changes in the application process on both the local and state levels which you must be aware of to allow us to process your application with as minimal a delay as possible.
TRANSITION TO NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE ON-LINE FIREARMS APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION SYSTEM (FARS).
In late 2019 the Hazlet Township Police Department began using the New Jersey State Police FARS on-line application system. This replaces the previous procedure where residents dropped off completed paper applications and other required documents at Police Headquarters. The previous paper STS-033 application form has been replaced by an on-line STS-033 form for applicants to complete.
The Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) is used for applying for the following firearms related documents:
- Electronic Permits to Purchase Handguns
- Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (Initial Issue)
- Replacement of Lost or Stolen Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Replacement of Mutilated Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Change of Address on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Change of Name on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Change of Sex on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
Applications for Permits to Carry Firearms are not available on the FARS Site.
Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID)
An Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is required in the State of New Jersey for the purchase of the following:
- Shotguns and Rifles
- Ammunition (For Rifles, Shotguns, and Handguns)
- Application fee for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is $50.00. (effective 12/22/22)
- There is no fee for replacement card, change of address, change of name, change of sex.
- Previously issued printed cards are still accepted at all NJ Licensed Firearms Dealers.
Electronic Permit to Purchase Handgun (E-PERMIT)
- New Jersey Law requires a separate E-permit to purchase each handgun.
- Application fee for an E- Permit to Purchase Handgun is $25.00 per permit requested (effective 12/22/22)
- First Time Applicants for an E-Permit to Purchase a Handgun should also apply for an Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card on the same application if they do not already possess one. Applicants will not be able to buy ammunition for handguns without a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. This will save the applicant additional processing fees that will be incurred if they file two separate applications.
APPLICATION FUNCTIONS PERFORMED ON FARS WEBSITE
The following functions are completed on the FARS website for all applicants (both first time applicants and previous applicants):
- Application for Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (E-FID)
(Initial issue, replacement of lost cards, change of address, change of name, or change of sex.)
- Applications for Electronic Permit (E-Permit) to Purchase Handgun
- Requests for New Jersey Mental Health Search (ALL applicants)
See note #2 below in TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION for residents that have not resided in New Jersey during the past 10 years.
- Instructions for scheduling Fingerprint Appointments (First Time Applicants ONLY)
- Requests for Criminal History Check (Previous Applicants ONLY) (212A Check)
- Reference Checks (All Applicants)
TO CORRECTLY COMPLETE THE ON-LINE FIREARMS APPLICATION, YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE:
- ORI Number of the Hazlet Township Police Department which is NJ0133900. (You will not be able to complete the application without using this ORI Number. Applicants must be residents of Hazlet Township.
- Personal information including all former names and name aliases.
You should have your NJ Driver’s License available as the name on the application should match your Driver’s License EXACTLY.
Do not add any suffix to your name that is not on your Driver’s License (Sr., Jr., III, IV)
- Your SBI Number if you have previously been fingerprinted for firearms purposes.
The SBI number is located on the front of your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
- Two references with their contact information
Names, Addresses, Phone number, and correct email address. Your references will receive a reference form link sent to their email address.
References should be reputable adults that are not related to the applicant.
- Residential history during the past 10 years.
Failure to list 10 years of prior addresses will delay your application.
- For Change of Name Application ONLY- copy of supporting marriage license or court order (in any of these formats-PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and TIF).
- Alien Registration Number if not a US Citizen.
- Employer Contact information if employed with contact number and name of person to contact for employment verification.
- Applicants for Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards will be required to upload a color photograph of applicant without wearing sunglasses or hats. Photo must be passport style (2 inch by 2 inch) with a light background. An application submitted with a photograph that does not meet these specifications may need to be withdrawn. Please note there are no refunds for withdrawn applications.
Hazlet Township Police Firearms Investigators cannot change any errors in your Name or Date of Birth. An applicant should verify that information is correct before submitting their application. Errors in Name and Date of Birth will result in the application having to be withdrawn from the FARS system, and the applicant will need to file a new application with the correct information, resulting in additional waiting time for the application to be approved.
Firearms Investigators can change all other information in your application if you entered incorrect information. Common errors are incorrect email addresses for both the applicant and references. If you have entered incorrect information or incorrect emails or other information for your references, the police department investigators can correct that information on the FARS site and can then resend the emails to your references. Corrections to email addresses or contact information for references can be sent to Firearms@HazletPD.org. Your application confirmation number must be included in the email requesting the corrections.
Any errors in critical information entered by applicant at the time of application (Name, Date of Birth) will result in the applicant having to file a new application.
TO ACCESS THE NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE FARS WEBSITE. YOU MUST ENTER THE SITE ADDRESS AS LISTED BELOW: (OR CLICK THE HIGHLIGHTED LINK BELOW)
Please be aware that the FARS Website/Portal is not administered by the Hazlet Township Police Department.
TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION AND APPLICANT RESPONSIBILITIES AFTER SUBMITTING APPLICATION
- The Applicant is required to take further actions before the Hazlet Township Police Department can start the processing of your application. These would depend on the selected purpose of your application. The required actions for each applicant are listed in the “Next Steps” section of the Confirmation Email.
- Mental Health Records Search- VERY IMPORTANT- PLEASE READ Applicants that are new residents to New Jersey and/or residents that have not resided in New Jersey for the past 10 years continuously are required to complete a paper copy of a Consent for Mental Health Search form (SP 066).
- This form should be submitted to the Hazlet Township Police Department as close as possible to the date when you applied on the FARS site. Failure to turn this form at the time you file your application will result in delays in processing your application. Applicants can mail this form to Hazlet Township Police, 255 Middle Rd, Hazlet, NJ 07730, ATTENTION: Special Services Unit. We cannot accept emailed forms as only original documents with actual signatures are permitted.
- To obtain Form SP-066 NJ Consent for Mental Health Records Search, insert the following link in your browser: Clicking on this link will take you to a fillable form that you can print out and sign.
- Applicants that have not been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey before will need to make an appointment with IdentoGO to get fingerprinted. Information required for fingerprint appointment is included in the Confirmation email. Fingerprint appointments can be scheduled at:
- Applicants are going to receive several Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) generated emails at various stages of the application process. One email will advise you that your Fingerprint Check has been completed. You will receive this within a few days after getting your fingerprints taken. Previous applicants will receive this email when the NJ State Police complete a check of their records based on the SBI Number that was submitted with your application. Emails are also sent when references do not complete the required reference questionnaire.
- These FARS generated emails DO NOT indicate the status of the investigative steps that must be conducted by our investigators.
- All Applicants – Contact your references to alert them to the emails that will be sent from the FARS site with a reference questionnaire. Both references must complete and return the questionnaire.
- The FARS System (NJ Firearms System) will generate emails if there are issues with an application. Applicants should be aware that these emails indicate a problem in the application process that could delay the approval of your application. These emails should not be ignored. Contact our Firearms Investigators at Firearms@HazletPD.org if you are receiving these FARS System emails.
- Applicants will get emails if their references do not complete their reference questions. If you receive these emails, check to make sure you entered correct emails for your references. Contact our Investigators at Firearms@HazletPD.org if the email addresses of your References need to be corrected.
- Applicants will get emails if they do not get their fingerprints scanned, or if they put incorrect information on the firearms application or on the fingerprint application which will cause the fingerprint results to not match up with your application. If you receive these emails, please contact our Investigators at Firearms@HazletPD.org.
- For any questions about your application, please email the Hazlet Township Police Department Firearms Application Unit at Firearms@HazletPD.org. Do not email or call the NJ State Police Firearms Unit. The State Police will not answer any questions pertaining to your application, and they will refer you back to our department.