APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR OBTAINING FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARDS AND PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS
The following information is intended to explain the process for obtaining Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns from the Hazlet Township Police Department. Many residents visiting this site are first time gun buyers, while others are experienced firearms owners who understand the purpose and procedure for obtaining the various firearms documents. Whether you are obtaining a firearm for the first time, a new resident to New Jersey (and Hazlet Township), or a resident that has previously applied for either Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards or Permits to Purchase Handguns through our agency, we would request that all visitors to this site read the information provided in it’s entirety before proceeding with the application process. There have been many recent changes in the application process on both the local and state levels which you must be aware of to allow us to process your application with as minimal a delay as possible.
TRANSITION TO NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE ON-LINE FIREARMS APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION SYSTEM (Also known as FARS).
In late 2019 the Hazlet Township Police Department began using the New Jersey State Police FARS on-line application system. This replaces the previous procedure where residents dropped off completed paper applications and other required documents at Police Headquarters. The previous paper STS-033 application form has been replaced by an on-line STS-033 form for applicants to complete. The only time you will be required to appear in person at Police HQ will be to pick up your completed Firearms Purchaser ID Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns. All Police Departments in the State of New Jersey have been asked to transition to the FARS System to make it easier for applicants to apply for firearms permits and ID cards. A link to the NJ State Police FARS Site is provided further down this page. Prior to going to the FARS site to start your application, it is strongly recommended that applicants read the TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION listed below on this page to prevent common errors by applicants which have been found to delay the processing of firearms applications.
The Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) is used for applying for the following firearms related documents:
Permits to Purchase Handguns
Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (Initial Issue)
Replacement of Lost or Stolen Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
Replacement of Mutilated Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
Change of Address on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
Change of Name on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
*Applications for Permits to Carry Firearms are not available on the FARS Site.
TYPES OF DOCUMENTS THAT CAN BE REQUESTED AND THEIR PURPOSE
Many first-time applicants are unaware that there are 2 separate documents required to purchase various weapons and ammunition in New Jersey. Below is an explanation of purpose of each document, expiration dates, and cost.
Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
A Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is required in the State of New Jersey for the purchase of the following:
Shotguns and Rifles
Ammunition (For Rifles, Shotguns, and Handguns)
Currently there is no expiration date for a Firearms Purchaser ID Card.
Current cost for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is $5.00.
Permit to Purchase Handgun
New Jersey Law requires a separate permit to purchase each handgun. This permit is solely for the purchase of a single handgun. It does not permit the applicant to purchase ammunition for that handgun.
A Permit to Purchase a Handgun expires 90 days after date issued by the Police Department. It can be renewed for an additional 90 days. Once 180 days have past since the permit was issued, it is no longer valid and cannot be renewed.
Current cost of a Permit to Purchase Handgun is $2.00.
First Time Applicants for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun should also apply for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card on the same application if they do not already possess one.
APPLICATION FUNCTIONS PERFORMED ON FARS WEBSITE
The following functions that were previously completed at the Hazlet Township Police Department are now done on the FARS website for all applicants (both first time applicants and returning applicants):
Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards
(initial issue/replacement cards/address change/name change)
Applications for Permit to Purchase Handgun
Requests for New Jersey Mental Health Search (ALL applicants)
(See note #18 below in TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION for residents that have not resided in New Jersey during the past 10 years)
Requests for Criminal History Check (Previous Applicants ONLY)
Reference Checks (All Applicants)
TO CORRECTLY COMPLETE THE ON-LINE FIREARMS APPLICATION, YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE:
ORI Number of the Hazlet Township Police Department which is NJ0133900. (You will not be able to complete the application without using this ORI Number. An incorrect ORI Number will send your application to the wrong police department and result in the applicant having to re-apply with the correct ORI).
Personal information including all former names and name aliases.
Your SBI Number if you have previously been fingerprinted for firearms.
(The SBI number is located on the front of your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card)
Two references with their contact information
(Names, Addresses, Phone number, and correct email address. Your references will receive a reference form link sent to their email address. References can be family members.)
Past residential history if you have lived outside New Jersey during the past 10 years.
For Change of Name Application ONLY- copy of supporting marriage license or court order (in any of these formats-PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and TIF).
Alien Registration Number if not a US Citizen.
Employer Contact information if employed with contact number and name of person to contact for employment verification.
Hazlet Township Police Firearms Investigators cannot change any information on your application with one exception: If you have entered incorrect emails or other information for your references, the police department investigators can correct that information on the FARS site and can then resend the emails to your references. Corrections to email addresses or contact information for references can be sent to Firearms@HazletPD.org. Your application confirmation number must be included in the email requesting the corrections.
TO ACCESS THE NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE FARS WEBSITE. YOU MUST ENTER THE SITE ADDRESS AS LISTED BELOW: (OR CLICK THE HIGHLIGHTED LINK BELOW)
Please be aware that the FARS Website/Portal is not administered by the Hazlet Township Police Department.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TIPS FOR COMPLETING THE FIREARMS APPLICATION BEFORE STARTING THE APPLICATION. THESE TIPS COVER MANY ISSUES THAT IF NOT PROPERLY ADDRESSED DURING THE APPLICATION PROCESS WILL DELAY THE ISSUANCE OF YOUR FIREARMS DOCUMENTS.
TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
- The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI (NJ0133900) for the Hazlet Township Police Department.
- Hazlet Township Police are only authorized to issue firearms documents to residents of Hazlet Township. Residents of other municipalities must apply to their own police department or to the NJ State Police if they provide police coverage in your municipality.
- You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
- The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Joe vs. Joseph). Include middle initials if they are on your driver’s license or other official documents.
- Information in your application should match exactly that information that is contained in your NJ Driver’s License as Firearm’s Retailers often request a Driver’s License as Photo Identification when purchases are being made.
- If the information on your Driver’s License does not exactly match your Firearms Identification Card, there is a possibility they will not allow you to complete the transaction.
- Applicants must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions as soon as possible to aid in your background investigation.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a REVIEW PAGE appears where the applicant can edit all information on the application prior to final submission.
- First Time Applicants will be able to PRINT OUT their UNIVERSAL FINGERPRINT FORM at the end of the online application and will be directed to do so.
- First Time Applicants will be required to set up an appointment for digital fingerprinting through the State Police Fingerprint Vendor (IdentoGo by ODEMIA).
- A fee is paid by applicant to the fingerprint vendor when setting up the appointment on-line. This fee covers both the fee for fingerprinting and the fee for the criminal history check.
- The nearest IdentoGo offices are located at 1817 Highway 35, Unit 5, Oakhurst, NJ, 07755, and at 2660 Woodbridge Ave, Edison, NJ 08837. Both offices are about 12 miles from Hazlet. There are other offices located throughout the state.
- When applying on the IdentoGo site to set up your fingerprint appointment, please make sure you enter your name exactly as it appears on your FARS Application. Errors may result in your fingerprint results not being matched up with your application.
- Delays in setting up an appointment for having your fingerprints scanned will delay the processing of your application. Investigation of new applicants cannot start until fingerprints have been obtained and results posted on the FARS site.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue. Make sure you record the date of your application and have your confirmation number available as it is the easiest way to search for your application on the FARS site should issues occur.
- No payment is taken from First Time applicants by FARS. Only 212A applicants (those applicants that have previously been fingerprinted and have a state issued SBI Number) will be required to pay at the end of their online application process. This is a service fee required by the State Police for conducting a Criminal History Check.
- Mental Health Records Search- VERY IMPORTANT- PLEASE READ
- Applicants that are new residents to New Jersey and/or residents that have not resided in New Jersey for the past 10 years continuously will be required to complete a paper copy of a Consent for Mental Health Search form (SP 66) in addition to the NJ Mental Health Search that is conducted as part of the FARS Application. This form can be downloaded from the NJ State Police Firearms Website. This form is also available at the Records Department window located in the lobby of Hazlet Police HQ. One completed form will be required for each state in which the applicant resided during the past 10 years. Follow the instructions on the form to complete it properly. This form must be turned into the Hazlet Township Police Department as close as possible to the date when you applied on the FARS site. Do not sign this form until you are in the presence of Police Department personnel at HQ. The Hazlet Police Firearms Investigators will submit the form to the proper authorities in the previous states that you have resided. Any delays on submitting this form will delay the issuance of your Firearms ID card or Permits to Purchase. The Hazlet Township Police Department will be unable to process your application until all Requests for Mental Health Search have been returned by the states you have resided in.
- After you complete your online application, you will receive automated email updates from the FARS site throughout this new process. These emails are system generated as each step of the investigation process is completed on the FARS site. These emails do not advise the applicant on completion of the investigative steps that are required by NJ State Law that must be completed by the Hazlet Township Police Department before an applicant for a Firearms Purchaser ID or Permit to Purchase Handgun can be approved. Please refrain from contacting the Police Department upon receiving these emails as they do not indicate the complete status of your application investigation.
- Upon Final Approval or your application by the Chief of Police, the FARS system will send you an email indicating your application has been approved. Please do not contact the Police Department when you receive this email. Upon approval of the application by the Chief of Police, it may take several days depending on volume to print out the Firearms ID Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns as these are not automatically generated by the FARS system. Once your Firearms ID Card and/or Permits to Purchase Handguns are complete, you will be notified by a Police Department Representative to come to Police HQ to pick up your items.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information that is not included in the tips above, please visit the New Jersey State Police Firearms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) website. (Link provided below).
FIREARMS APPLICANT FEE SCHEDULE (ALL FEES PAID AT TIME OF PICK UP)
ALL FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARDS AND PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS MUST BE PICKED UP BY THE APPLICANT ONLY. PHOTO ID WILL BE REQUIRED. FIREARMS ID CARDS AND PERMITS WILL NOT BE RELEASED TO 3rd PARTIES AND THEY CANNOT BE MAILED TO THE APPLICANT.
ONCE OUR STAFF CONTACTS YOU, COMPLETED ID CARDS AND PERMITS CAN BE PICKED UP AT THE RECORDS WINDOW IN THE HAZLET POLICE DEPARTMENT LOBBY AT THE HOURS LISTED BELOW.
Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card: Cash, Check or money order payable to: Township of Hazlet in the amount of $5.00.
Application to Purchase a Handgun: Cash, Check or money order payable to: Township of Hazlet in the amount of $2.00 per handgun permit.
Application for a Duplicate/Replacement Firearms Purchaser Identification Card: There is no fee for a Duplicate/Replacement Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
The Records Section is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).
If you have any further questions or concerns you can email us at Firearms@HazletPD.org