FIREARMS APPLICANT INSTRUCTIONS
PAYMENT REQUIRED PRIOR TO PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS
All fees for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns must be paid prior to the application being processed. New Jersey State Law (N.J.A.C.13:54-1.4) requires this Non-refundable payment prior to the completion of the background investigation. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or E-Permits to Purchase Handguns.
The New Jersey State Police have made major changes to the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) effective with applications filed after October 1, 2020.
The main change that directly affects applicants is in the issuing of Permits to Purchase Handguns. Applicants that applied for Permits after October 1, 2020 will not receive the traditional paper permits that were issued by our department.
Applicants will now receive an electronic Permit to Purchase a Handgun (also known as an E-PERMIT). Upon approval of their application by the Chief of Police, applicants will receive an email from the FARS system advising them of the approval of their permit(s). The email will not contain the actual E-PERMIT. It just advises the applicant that the E-PERMIT has been approved. The actual E-PERMIT is contained on the FARS Site and can be activated by any NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer at time of purchase. E-PERMITS have the same expiration period as the former paper permits (90 days from date of approval, with a renewal period of an additional 90 days). Once 180 days have passed since the E-PERMIT was issued, the E-PERMIT is no longer valid and cannot be renewed.
Applicants will no longer have to come to Police HQ to pick up their permits. Firearms purchaser ID Cards have also been changed but will still have to be picked up at Police HQ. (In the Spring of 2021 Firearms Purchaser Identification cards will also be issued electronically).
Applicants are requested to send payment for E-PERMITS and ID Cards to the following address: (Due to COVID19 applicants are requested to use U.S. MAIL ONLY)
Hazlet Township Police Department
255 Middle Road
Hazlet, NJ 07730
Attention: Special Services
Payment is to be made by check or money order made payable to HAZLET TOWNSHIP. (Do not send cash).
Applicants should put their Confirmation Number from their application in the Subject line at the bottom left side of their check.
In the case of multiple applicants from the same family, a separate check or money order will be required for each applicant to correctly match payments with each application.
The Confirmation Number is in the email you received from the FARS System at the time of your application. The Confirmation E-Mail also has the amount that is due.
If you do not know your confirmation number or the amount you owe, email our Firearms Investigators at Firearms@HazletPD.org and they will resend you the Confirmation Email.
Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards cost $5.00. (There is no charge for replacement cards, change of address cards, or change of name cards)
E-PERMITS to Purchase a Handgun are $2.00 each.
Due to the changes made by the State Police on October 1, 2020, we are unable to change the number of permits you requested, or add E-Permits if you only requested a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. Any additional E-PERMITS will require the applicant to file a new application on the FARS site.
APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM OUR FIREARMS UNIT WHEN THEIR FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTICATIONS CARDS ARE READY FOR PICKUP.
APPLICANTS FOR E-PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM THE NJ STATE POLICE FARS SITE (NJ PORTAL) WHEN THEIR E-PERMITS ARE APPROVED.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR OBTAINING FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARDS AND ELECTRONIC PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS
The following information is intended to explain the process for obtaining Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Electronic Permits to Purchase Handguns from the Hazlet Township Police Department. Many residents visiting this site are first time gun buyers, while others are experienced firearms owners who understand the purpose and procedure for obtaining the various firearms documents. Whether you are obtaining a firearm for the first time, a new resident to New Jersey (and Hazlet Township), or a resident that has previously applied for either Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards or Electronic Permits to Purchase Handguns through our agency, we would request that all visitors to this site read the information provided in its entirety before proceeding with the application process. There have been many recent changes in the application process on both the local and state levels which you must be aware of to allow us to process your application with as minimal a delay as possible.
TRANSITION TO NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE ON-LINE FIREARMS APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION SYSTEM (Also known as FARS).
In late 2019 the Hazlet Township Police Department began using the New Jersey State Police FARS on-line application system. This replaces the previous procedure where residents dropped off completed paper applications and other required documents at Police Headquarters. The previous paper STS-033 application form has been replaced by an on-line STS-033 form for applicants to complete.
The Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) is used for applying for the following firearms related documents:
- Electronic Permits to Purchase Handguns
- Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (Initial Issue)
- Replacement of Lost or Stolen Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Replacement of Mutilated Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Change of Address on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Change of Name on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Change of Sex on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
Applications for Permits to Carry Firearms are not available on the FARS Site.
Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
A Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is required in the State of New Jersey for the purchase of the following:
- Shotguns and Rifles
- Ammunition (For Rifles, Shotguns, and Handguns)
- Cost for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is $5.00.
E-Permit to Purchase Handgun
- New Jersey Law requires a separate E-permit to purchase each handgun.
- Cost of an E- Permit to Purchase Handgun is $2.00.
- First Time Applicants for an E-Permit to Purchase a Handgun should also apply for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card on the same application if they do not already possess one. Applicants will not be able to buy ammunition for handguns without a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. This will save the applicant additional processing fees that will be incurred if they file two separate applications.
APPLICATION FUNCTIONS PERFORMED ON FARS WEBSITE
The following functions are completed on the FARS website for all applicants (both first time applicants and previous applicants):
- Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards
(initial issue/replacement cards/address change/name change)
- Applications for Electronic Permit (E-Permit) to Purchase Handgun
- Requests for New Jersey Mental Health Search (ALL applicants)
See note #2 below in TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION for residents that have not resided in New Jersey during the past 10 years.
- Instructions for scheduling Fingerprint Appointments (First Time Applicants ONLY)
- Requests for Criminal History Check (Previous Applicants ONLY) (212A Check)
- Reference Checks (All Applicants)
TO CORRECTLY COMPLETE THE ON-LINE FIREARMS APPLICATION, YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE:
- ORI Number of the Hazlet Township Police Department which is NJ0133900. (You will not be able to complete the application without using this ORI Number.
- Personal information including all former names and name aliases.
You should have your NJ Driver’s License available as the name on the application should match your Driver’s License EXACTLY.
Do not add any suffix to your name that is not on your Driver’s License (Sr., Jr., III, IV)
- Your SBI Number if you have previously been fingerprinted for firearms.
The SBI number is located on the front of your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
- Two references with their contact information
Names, Addresses, Phone number, and correct email address. Your references will receive a reference form link sent to their email address.
References should be reputable adults that are not related to the applicant.
- Residential history during the past 10 years.
Failure to list 10 years of prior addresses will delay your application.
- For Change of Name Application ONLY- copy of supporting marriage license or court order (in any of these formats-PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and TIF).
- Alien Registration Number if not a US Citizen.
- Employer Contact information if employed with contact number and name of person to contact for employment verification.
Hazlet Township Police Firearms Investigators cannot change any information on your application with one exception: If you have entered incorrect emails or other information for your references, the police department investigators can correct that information on the FARS site and can then resend the emails to your references. Corrections to email addresses or contact information for references can be sent to Firearms@HazletPD.org. Your application confirmation number must be included in the email requesting the corrections.
TO ACCESS THE NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE FARS WEBSITE. YOU MUST ENTER THE SITE ADDRESS AS LISTED BELOW: (OR CLICK THE HIGHLIGHTED LINK BELOW)
Please be aware that the FARS Website/Portal is not administered by the Hazlet Township Police Department.
TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION AND APPLICANT RESPONSIBILITIES AFTER SUBMITTING APPLICATION
- The Applicant is required to take further actions before the Hazlet Township Police Department can start the processing of your application. These would depend on the selected purpose of your application. The required actions for each applicant are listed in the “Next Steps” section of the Confirmation Email.
- Mental Health Records Search- VERY IMPORTANT- PLEASE READ Applicants that are new residents to New Jersey and/or residents that have not resided in New Jersey for the past 10 years continuously will be required to complete a paper copy of a Consent for Mental Health Search form (SP 066).
- This form must be turned into the Hazlet Township Police Department as close as possible to the date when you applied on the FARS site. Failure to turn this form at the time you file your application will result in delays in processing your application. Applicants can mail this form to Hazlet Township Police, 255 Middle Rd, Hazlet, NJ 07730. We cannot accept emailed forms as only original documents with actual signatures are allowed.
- To obtain Form SP-066 NJ Consent for Mental Health Records Search, insert the following link in your browser: Clicking on this link will take you to a fillable form that you can print out and sign.
- Applicants that have not been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey before will need to make an appointment with IdentoGO to get fingerprinted. Information required for fingerprint appointment is included in the Confirmation email. Fingerprint appointments can be scheduled at:
- Applicants are going to receive several Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) generated emails at various stages of the application process. One email will advise you that your Criminal Background Check has been completed. You will receive this within a few days after getting your fingerprints taken. Previous applicants will receive this email when the NJ State Police complete a check of their records based on the SBI Number that was submitted with your application. Emails are also sent when references do not complete the required reference questionnaire.
- These FARS generated emails DO NOT indicate the status of the investigative steps that must be conducted by our investigators.
- All Applicants – Contact your references to alert them to the emails that will be sent from the FARS site with a reference questionnaire. Both references must complete and return the questionnaire.
- Upon Final Approval or your application by the Chief of Police, the FARS system will send you an email indicating your application has been approved. Please do not contact the Police Department when you receive this email. You will receive an email from Firearms@HazletPD.org when your Firearms ID Cards are ready for pick up.
- For any questions about your application, please email the Hazlet Township Police Department Firearms Application Unit at firearms@HazletPD.org. Do not email or call the NJ State Police Firearms Unit. The State Police will not answer any questions in pertaining to your application, and they will refer you back to our department.